Friday, September 09, 2005

The Answer to the Paradox Demanded the Woman

You ask about the paradox
My demand to the woman
found in adultery.
Such a simple thing.
Just that I don’t condemn
yet require that you don’t sin.

The simple answer is this
to just do both.
To understand that while I offer you forgiveness
I cannot tolerate sin.
Without My forgiveness
I could not tolerate you.

Do you know I love you?
Do you understand this?
Read the story of the prodigal
and how his father rejoices.
You don’t understand My love.
Unless you understand his.

You don’t understand why
I forgive.
You seem to think
you are in control.
You are sinners hanging over hell
in the hands of an angry God.

Dangling by a slender thread
thinner than you can imagine.
In such peril beyond comprehension.
Eternity in a lake of fire pales by comparison.
Do you know how to fear Me?
Do you know Me?

I know My sheep.
Are you one of My sheep?
Do you know for sure?
Is your faith secure?
Do you know where you will go
when you die?

© Presbypoet, March 15, 2004
The end of the poems about the woman taken in adultery.
Or is it the end?
What do you think happened to her after she left Jesus?
Did she know she was forgiven?
Did she go and sin no more?
Do you understand what she was offered?
Do you understand you are offered the same?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/09/2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home