Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A message from GOD?

The choice of readings at Presbytery last week, was strange. (Presbytery is an assembly of representatives from various churches in the Presbytery, we meet five times a year in various churches, to vote on issues of importance, and be given information).

When we had our customary worship service, complete with readings, to start the meeting. The book of Amos was one of the readings. This portion of the readings, from chapter 5 of Amos seem a strange choice to start a religious gathering.

21 "I hate, I despise your religious feasts;
I cannot stand your assemblies.

22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, [b]
I will have no regard for them.

23 Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.
(NIV)
Perhaps, given the efforts to use the denomination for political purposes, this reading may have been a word from God. Did we listen to what God wanted us to do? Or were we simply an empty vessel unwilling to be filled? Is this how God feels about the PCUSA? Was this a message from God?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home